If you have symptoms or got confirmed as a case of COVID-19, follow these steps to protect your baby from getting infected:
Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and Breastfeeding:
If you’re a mother that got *confirmed/suspected* to have COVID-19 by showing any of its symptoms such as; fever, cough, or shortness of breath, know that you still could breastfeed your baby.
Since the transmission of the COVID-19 virus through breastmilk and breastfeeding has not been detected.
To breastfeed your baby.make sure to follow these steps to protect your baby from getting infected:
1. Wash your hands before touching your baby
2. Wear a face mask, while feeding your baby
And if you decide to express your breast milk, for any reason:
1. Use a dedicated breast pump
2. Wash your hands before touching the pump or bottle parts and clean all parts after each use
3. Wear a cloth mask while expression and feeding.
4.If needed, a healthy caregiver should give expressed breast milk to the infant.
5. You may store breast milk in the fridge for 3 days and 3 months in the freezer.
The numerous benefits of breastfeeding outweigh the potential risks of transmission associated with COVID-19.